SANDBACH steamrollered Ellesmere Port with a powerful performance at Bradwall Road on Saturday.

The home side played attractive, open rugby from start to finish and put Port under pressure from the first whistle, taking command when centre Dan Massey opened the scoring following a well-worked move from a line-out. Fullback Matt Stanway converted and soon added a penalty to stretch the lead to 10-0.

A rampant Sandbach side then produced a superb move to free Tim Jones, who sidestepped his opposite man before outpacing the Port fullback to score Sandbach's second try. Stanway converted.

Sandbach's game plan to overrun Port's heavy forwards produced further first-half tries for Scott Hollins and Lee Pickles and although the visitors kicked two late penalties, Sandbach turned around 27-6 to the good.

The second period followed a similar pattern to the first with early tries by Sam Howard and Adam Wilde.

Sandbach finished them off in style with further tries from Massey, James Stockwell, Ray Jones, Howard and the pick of the bunch from Nick Bolton. Pickles added further conversionsas Sandbach took their tally past the 60-point mark.

They will be hoping to continue their fine form at Trentham on Saturday.

* Sandbach Under 13s ran riot at Walsall to record a 64-0 success on Sunday. Tim Jervis scored four tries and Brendan Bache two while Jack Leech, Matt Pollen, Chris Plumb and Pat Sharratt also crashed over. Jamma Gaskell kicked five conversions and Andy Marrow two.

The Under 16s won 22-10 at Walsall under new captain James Brough.

Crewe and Nantwich 33 Dukinfield 6: Signs that better times are ahead for Crewe continued to emerge after a comfortable win over Dukinfield on Saturday.

The visitors, relegated from Division One last season, must have fears of dropping straight through to the league below after seeing Crewe's forwards test their strong pack.

Aware of the holes in their three-quarter line, Crewe's selectors-made some 'bold' decisionsfor this game - restoring Danny Lynch and recalling veteran Harry Harrison.

The moves soon paid off with Rob James opening the scoring after just five minutes.

A couple of penalties were exchanged before a breathtaking three-quarter move saw winger Gareth Munro go over for Crewe's second score. A further penalty from Matt Farr saw Crewe turn around with a 16-3 lead.

Full-back Andy Thompson came into the line to give Munro his second try and a powerful run by Crewe's German recruit, Andreas Reckeworth, was finished off by Alistair Johnston before opposite wing Stuart Hayter completed the scoring with a try after a line-out.

The seconds went down 13-3 at Glossop, while the thirds defeated Altrincham fourths 21-3.

Crewe are at Ellesmere Port on Saturday, with the seconds at home in the reverse fixture (3pm).