ALTHOUGH the result suggests that next-to-bottom Port were well-beaten by third-placed Oldershaw, skipper Neil Percival was pleased with his team's efforts after a lengthy lay-off.

He said: 'Considering we'd not had a game for six weeks and we were without three of our better players, I thought we did really well. Oldershaw are supposed to be a young and fit team but they really huffed and puffed for the first 20 minutes and seemed a bit rattled that we'd had the temerity to take the lead.'

A Dave Layder penalty put Port ahead 3-0 but Oldershaw's ability to score from anywhere was evident as they punished any errors from the home side to lead 19-3 at the break.

The hosts made a fist of things after the break and were held up over the line three times in the second half but they did manage to score a try through Anthony McCarthy which Layder converted.

Andrew Slawson and Partners MoM was Steve Riley.

On Saturday, Port play host to the league leaders, Anselmians.

Helsby U14s 31 Ellesmere Port U14s 32:

Port fought back superbly to grab a last-minute winner in a superb game of attacking rugby on a cold, damp Sunday.

Early on, Port seemed to still be in the changing rooms twice dropping the ball resulting in two tries for Helsby, one of which was converted.

Straight from the restart, good possession and play brought the visitors deep into their opponents' territory and from the resulting penalty, Jake Kelly scored an unconverted try. Helsby replied to lead 17-5 before Kelly scored his second, a carbon copy of his first, this time it was converted by Joe White.

The scores were levelled at 17-17 by a try from MoM winger Brett Williams. Port heads were high but on the stroke of half time Helsby took the lead with a converted try and immediately after the restart they scored another try and conversion to look good for the win.

Only then did the visitors impose themselves and from this moment on all the scoring was done by Port.

Three unanswered tries from Matt Warburton, Gerrard Smyth and a last-gasp winner from Antony Jones, all unconverted, sealed a superb comeback victory.