MOTOR SPORT: THE JINX that has dogged Team Founds' start to the troubled British Sidecar Championship season struck again on Sunday as the opening race of the campaign was abandoned due to a death on the track.
Although the tragic incident occurred during an earlier 400cc production race, Founds and his fellow competitors at the Knockhill circuit, Fife, had been told that their showpiece event would still take place.
Great Sutton-based Founds had even taken his place on the grid with the rest of the field before he was told that the meeting had been cut short.
He said: 'Although the rest of the races had been cancelled after the earlier crash, we'd been told that we'd still be in action and we were all ready to go. But just as we were due to begin, we were informed that we'd be unable to continue as the scene would have to be left untouched for a police investigation due to Scottish Law.
'This is already the latest starting sidecar season in living memory due to problems with sponsors and a revised race calendar, so I was desperate to get going, but you have to have sympathy for the bloke who lost his life.
'I did finally manage to get some good track-time over the weekend and I'm looking forward to the next round at Mondello Park in three weeks' time.'