AN injury-time goal from Roberto Martinez earned Chester a deserved share in an eventful Coca-Cola League Two clash at Plainmoor.

City's injury and suspension ravaged squad saw with defender Ashley Westwood (hamstring) added to the bulging injury list but the point at Torquay arrested a run of three consecutive defeats.

Chester were quickly into their stride with Martinez seeing a goal-bound free-kick deflected wide, then three minutes later Hand was close with a 20-yard effort.

Torquay then suffered a breakdown in communications when Stev Angus attempted to chest back to his keeper Nathan Abbey but the veteran shot stopper misread the situation before clawing it off his goal line.

Torquay led two minutes from the break when Evans flicked on to Jamie Ward who delightfully lobbed over Danby.

Chester made a substitution after the restart, bringing on striker Drewe Broughton for Dean Bennett and within 10 minutes the move paid dividends.

Blundell crossed from the right, Angus sliced his clearance giving Broughton the chance to bundle in the equaliser. Against the run of play, Torquay again took the lead after 74 minutes. Evans was again the orchestrator, holding off two challenges before passing to Ward, who side-footed home from close-range.

Chester again came forward as Chris Holroyd headed straight at Abbey and Broughton brought out a good from the far post.

In the third minute of injury time Chester grabbed the equaliser. A long ball from was headed back to Martinez and the Spanish maestro exquisitely struck it into the corner of the net from 15 yards.

Chester manager Mark Wright said: "In my opinion this was two points dropped. I'm not happy at all. It may sound harsh on Torquay, but we should be winning these games. I think the three points were there for the taking."

Tonight Chester's reserves travel across the border to face Wrexham in a Pontin's League fixture, kick-off at 7pm.

TORQUAY UNITED: Abbey, Andrews, Woods, Thorpe, Angus, Phillips (McPhee 67), Garner (Hockley 62), Mansell, Hill, Ward, Evans. Subs: Villis, Motteram, Reed.

CHESTER CITY: Danby, Linwood, Artell, Hessey, Vaughan, Hand, Martinez, Wilson (Holroyd 78), Walters, Blundell, Bennett (Broughton 46). Subs: Palethorpe, Marples, Rutherford.

* The Football Association and Devon police are to investigate an incident following Chester's clash with Torquay.

City's central defender Paul Linwood sustained facial injuries and cracked teeth following an incident after the match.

Torquay chairman Mike Bateson said: "The referee will submit an extraordinary incident report. An FA enquiry will follow and there could be repercussions."