EVERTON pulled out of the ill-fated Java Cup amid fears no tickets had been sold in advance and security concerns about the tournament.
Blues officials made the difficult decision to withdraw from the inaugural pre-season competition in Indonesia at the last minute, after they could not get assurances over which other teams were taking part and when games would go ahead.
The four-team cup was scheduled to start on Friday, when Everton were due to play a Malaysian XI before facing the winners of another fixture on Sunday.
But Everton became concerned after original opponents Galatasaray withdrew on Monday, then their mooted replacements, Uruguayan side Nacional, denied involvement.
David Moyes and his players were set to fly to Jakarta yesterday, but were eventually told to stand down when it was confirmed the club had decided to cut their losses.
Everton have pledged to compensate fans who had flown to Asia to cheer on the Blues, and requested that they contact their communications department to make arrangements.
The ECHO understands that no alternative friendly fixtures will be arranged for this weekend, and the players will have a break before their next game at Blackpool on Sunday, August 5.
An Everton spokesman said: “Club officials here in the UK and our forward planning/security team deployed to Jakarta at the weekend have repeatedly asked for clarity and assurances from the organisers on the issues but unfortunately have not received the answers we required in the time frame necessary to ensure our participation.
“We are grateful for the support today of the Indonesian government in this matter, however the unresolved issues mean that the risk of travelling was too great.
“This decision was not taken lightly and we apologise for the obvious inconvenience caused to our supporters who have made, or were planning to make the trip and to our Indonesian fans who were looking forward to seeing Everton in action.
“The first team squad will now stay in the UK and continue their pre-season preparations.”
The club added that supporters who had independently booked to travel, or who have made their way to Indonesia, should first check their travel insurers and then email the Club on: email@example.com.
The ECHO were unable to contact the tournament organisers for comment.