A TODDLER playing with matches started a bedroom blaze.
Two crews from Ellesmere Port Fire Station were called to tackle the incident, which happened at about 7.15pm in Bunbury Close, Stoak, on Monday, February 22.
On arrival crews found the mattress had been set alight in the mid-terraced property but the other four members of the family had successfully put it out.
Crews took the mattress outside and ventilated the premises, before carrying out a home safety assessment and fitted smoke alarms.
The bedroom was damaged in the fire, with smoke logging to the rest of the house.
Ellesmere Port fire station manager Colin Heyes said the incident highlighted the dangers of children playing with matches.
He said: “The occupiers were very lucky here to avert a serious fire. The fire was discovered and the occupiers escaped without injury.
“However, smoke detectors would have detected the fire much earlier and the consequences would have been much more serious if the people had been asleep at the time.
“Two issues arise from an incident like this. First of all, I cannot stress highly enough the importance of having working smoking detectors in your house. Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service offer a free home safety assessment to all residents.
“To book an appointment for a member of the fire service to visit your home, call 0800 389 0053. This is a free service we offer.
“The second important issue here is keeping matches and lighters away from small children.
“We know children and toddlers are inquisitive and should be taught about the dangers of fire at an early age. Their curiosity can sadly have tragic consequences but fortunately not in this case.”