BORN and bred in the area and having started his career with his hometown club, Neil Roberts is never going to be anything but a diehard Wrexham fan.

So it was no surprise that the Doncaster Rovers striker, who clattered into younger brother Steve within 40 seconds of the start of Saturday's meeting at the Racecourse, gave Denis Smith's Dragons the benefit of the doubt following the protagonists' second 0-0 stalemate of the season.

'We've come into the changing rooms at the end and we were delighted with a point,' said Roberts. 'Wrexham probably played more of the football today but we've scrapped.'

Yet it was Roberts's team-mate Andy Warrington who earned the plaudits, when the keeper denied Steve a late winner.

Roberts said: 'I thought Steve's shot was in, to be honest, but our keeper has pulled off a magnificent save.'

That late 30-yard screamer, destined for the top corner until Warrington somehow got across to fingertip the ball against the woodwork and behind, was the culmination of Wrexham's best efforts to extend a three-match winning sequence.

Few of the neutrals in a crowd swelled by fans from far and wide supporting the Clubs in Crisis day would have argued against Smith's Dragons deserving all three points.

Yet Saturday's point means Rovers have still to taste defeat this year, which puts manager Dave Penney in the frame for a manager of the month award. But his record might have been flawed had Wrexham converted any of three early chances.

Carlos Edwards lashed a third-minute shot high and wide of the goal when Chris Armstrong nudged forward a massive kick from on-loan goal-keeper Ben Foster.

Then Armstrong failed to connect with Chris Llewellyn's first-time cross into the penalty box following good work down the left by Andy Holt.

The game was more than 20 minutes old before the visitors threatened, Paul Green's sur- ging run from halfway deserving a more considered effort from Jermaine McSporran.

Edwards did well to block an effort from Roberts on one of the rare occasions the striker slipped his brother's attention.

Though the contest was crying out for width, there were few opportunities for either side to get round the back.

Warrington kept his side on level terms on 53 minutes, turning Morgan's close-range header over the bar, before Smith changed tack. He brought Hector Sam into the action.

The more direct Trinidadian teed-up a half-chance for Mark Jones as Wrexham upped the tempo and took a few risks.

Only once did the visitors go close to taking advantage, Andy Campbell freeing Gregg Blun-dell for a 72nd-minute shot that was smothered by the commanding and confident Foster.

Within a minute the Dragons were on the offensive through Edwards. When Sam's shot was blocked Jones saw his rebound hit Warrington, the deflection diverting the ball on to the post. Wrexham: Foster; Roberts, Morgan, Lawrence, Edwards, Mark Jones, Ferguson, Williams, Holt, Llewellyn, Armstrong (Sam 60). Subs not used: Michael Jones, Smith, Bennett, Pejic. Doncaster Rovers: Warrington, Ryan, Albrighton (Ravenhill 83), Foster, Mulligan, McSporran (Campbell 67), McIndoe, Doolan, Green, Roberts, Blun-dell (Fenton 86). Subs not used: Rigoglioso, Flitney.

Referee: Phil Joslin. Attendance: 6,115.