A SEVERED electricity cable left more than 20,000 homes and businesses in Wrexham without power last week.
Thousands of pounds worth of business are thought to have been lost due to the major power cut which occurred between 3-5pm on Thursday, February 26, with many shops having to close early and householders left for two hours without electricity.
The blackout was said to be the result of a third-party contractor working for ScottishPower, who severed a 33,000 volt electricity cable at Abenbury and knocked out three sub-stations.
Council offices, Wrexham County Court, the Maelor Hospital and the North East Wales Institute (NEWI) were all affected, and properties in the LL11 and LL13 postcode areas were without electricity, including Montgomery Road and Bradley Road.
Staff and students from NEWI were sent home.
Maelor Hospital spokesman Andy Scotson said: 'All our essential services are backed-up to ensure vital equipment functions normally. The main disruption was in the IT and office accommodation sections.'
The town centre's traffic lights were also knocked out, which caused temporary havoc on the roads, but no major incidents were reported.
CCTV cameras were also rendered inoperable, but back-up systems kicked in ensuring Wrexham Police Station and the cameras continued as normal.
Sergeant Andy Jones, from Wrexham Police Station, said they had received a few calls from concerned residents who were left without power.
A fire crew were called to office premises in Rhosddu Road after a man was stuck in a lift, but the emergency services reported only a handful of incidents and said no-one was injured during the power failure.
A spokesman for ScottishPower said: 'We can only apologise for the disruption, but engineers were sent out straight away and everybody was back on line within two hours.'