A DETECTIVE hunting the crooks behind an audacious £1m lorry hijacking in Ellesmere Port says the investigation is still very much alive.
Police have so far drawn a blank in the search for the four men responsible for stealing a large consignment of cigarettes back in August.
But investigating officer Detective Sergeant Nigel Parr says enquiries are still ongoing and has called for any witnesses who haven’t got in touch to contact him.
A £50,000 reward for anyone with vital information is up for grabs.
DS Parr said: “Unfortunately there have been no arrests but it’s still very much a live investigation. We’re currently exploring a number of avenues.
“The public have been extremely helpful but we would always welcome more information.”
The hijacking was carried out on the afternoon of Thursday, August 7, by four men who targeted a 46-year-old lorry driver at junction seven of the M53.
They were driving a Ford Galaxy, which appeared to be from the Vehicle and Operators Services Agency (VOSA), along the motorway when they pulled in front of him with an illuminated sign reading “follow me”.
The driver, who was held at knifepoint, was ordered to continue his journey to Birkenhead docks before swapping his trailer for another which contained £1m of cigarettes.
The hijackers then told him to drive to the M56 Hapsford Services where they attached the trailer to a separate cab.
The driver was later found along with his cab in Humberside.
All four raiders had Northern Irish accents. There was also a fifth man driving the second lorry cab, which was a maroon/red colour.
If you have any information contact 0845 458 0000 or 01244 615085. Alternatively call Crimestoppers in confidence on 0800 555111.