A MOTHER had a lucky escape following a blaze in the upstairs of her borough home.
The woman had been asleep as fire took hold of a room at her home in West Vale, Neston, at 10am on Tuesday.
Fire crews from Ellesmere Port and Heswall attended, to find neighbours had forced their way in and dragged her out to safety.
Watch manager Ant Fletcher, from the Port fire station, explained: “The woman works nights and was in bed. Her daughter and family were staying with her, and the daughter had used a hairdryer then went out shopping.
“But the dryer was still very hot. It smouldered, and set light to the carpet and clothing.
“The first thing the mum hears was an aerosol cannister exploding in the fire. Her first floor was full of smoke.
“She leaned out the upstairs window and started screaming.
“Two neighbours heard and broke in the front door and told her to get on her hands and knees. She crawled out to the stairs and they grabbed her hand and dragged her out to safety.”
He said of the damage caused: “One upstairs room was destroyed by the fire and the rest of the top floor was smoke-damaged.
“The mum was alright, she was a very lucky lady.”