FIREFIGHTERS will be visiting Wrexham's residents over the coming weeks to spread the message that sweeping chimneys can help save lives and homes.
According to figures published by the North Wales Fire Service, firefighters in North Wales attended more than 350 incidents involving chimney fires in the region last year, one of the highest number of call-outs across the country.
As householders in Wrexham prepare for the coming winter months by lighting their coal fires, fire officers are urging them to call in a chimney sweep. Unswept and structurally defective chimneys can allow fires to develop, which increases the risk of fire spread.
Senior Fire Safety Officer Dai Roberts said: 'Householders should have their chimneys swept at least once a year to prevent fire threat to people and property. The potential for serious property fires developing from burning chimneys should never be underestimated.
'Householders replacing open fires with gas appliances should ensure the flue is swept and checked before installation to avoid the threat of carbon monoxide gas build-up.'