WREXHAM striker Lee Trundle looks set to begin his comeback from suspension tonight with a place on the subsitutes' bench at Carmarthen Town as the Red Dragons embark on another FAW Premier Cup campaign.
The Racecourse club kick-off their defence of the trophy in the humble surroundings of Richmond Park but there will be no place in the starting line-up for the errant striker, who has been sidelined for three matches after being sent off in the 3-0 defeat at Brentford last month.
Manager Denis Smith is likely to stick with the eleven who started against Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday, saying: "Lee has no-one but himself to blame because it is his fault he has been out of the team. He's going to have to do a lot to make me happy now because I've got enough problems here without having to worry about people getting themselves sent off."
Although anxious to make up for lost time, Trundle accepts that no-one, least of all himself-has a divine right to a first-team spot. "The quicker I learn the lesson, the better it will be for me and for the club," he said yesterday. "It's something I've got to cut out of my game because every time I go out on the field there will be defenders trying to wind me up. But I have to take that sort of behaviour as a compliment and get on with my job.
"In the position we find ourselves in the league, we can't afford to have players suspended. My intention is to get my head down and ensure that I don't let my frustrations boil over."
Trundle, who missed Wrexham's first four matches of the season through suspension, said the latest ban had come at a particularly bad time.
"I scored against Notts County in my last game before suspension, which was my first goal for a while, and now I've got to start again," he added. "I have only managed four league goals this season, which is disappointing when you consider how I started when I first joined the club.
"My confidence in my ability to get goals has not been dented and I realise I need to be back in the team on a regular basis. But Andy Morrell and Hector Sam did well on Saturday, so it's right that they should play."
Tonight's quarter-final clash (kick-off 6.55pm) is a new experience for Smith, although the majority of the Wrexham squad were involved in last year's two qualifying group games against the League of Wales side, who lost 1-0 at home and were beaten 3-0 at the Racecourse.
The Dragons' boss said: "I'd never heard of the competition until I came here but I know we had problems beating Carmarthen down there last year. Obviously it's going to be a hard game.
"I've never been to Carmarthen and it will be interesting to check out the standard of the League of Wales. We are the holders of the trophy, which is important, and there is some money to be made from the competition. There is always the prospect of an upset. If we slip up, we'll take a lot of stick as we did after the FA Cup defeat at Hereford, so we need to make sure that doesn't happen."
Smith added: "In the last couple of games we should have taken six points so there is no point in experimenting."
Wrexham Reserves are in Avon Insurance League Premier Division action against Burnley at the Racecourse tomorrow (7pm). Former Wrexham defender Mark McGregor is a possible starter for the visitors while tonight's substitutes will bolster Wrexham's young squad.
WREXHAM: Rogers; Whitley, Roberts, Carey, Holmes; Phillips, Thomas, Ferguson, Blackwood; Sam, Morrell. Subs (from) Walsh, Lawrence, Gibson, Edwards, Trundle, Chalk.