WREXHAM and Johnstown firefighters attended a house fire on Hill Street, Penycae, in the early hours of Sunday, March 7.
Five people were in the house at the time of the fire, just before 3am, and an ambulance was required to treat two adults and three children who were all suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.
It was confirmed that the cause of the fire was a chip pan left unattended, which resulted in severe damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the rest of the property.
Divisional commander Pete Lennard said: 'In December a campaign was launched in Wrexham highlighting the dangers of drinking and cooking. It is extremely worrying for the fire and rescue service that firefighters are attending incidents such as this one in an area where the campaign was launched.
'Despite continual efforts to educate the public about the dangers from fire, particularly in the kitchen, it appears lessons are not being learned. We cannot over-emphasise the importance of not leaving any cooking or kitchen appliances unattended.'
He added: 'It only takes a few seconds for an unattended pan or cooker to ignite and develop into a serious and life-threatening fire.' For further advice on home fire safety or for a free home fire safety check, call the Freephone number on 0808 100 2863 and leave your contact details.
A member of the Community Fire Safety Team will return your call and arrange a convenient time to visit.