FIREFIGHTERS battled a blaze at Stanlow after grass was set on fire.

At just before 3am on Monday, February 19, emergency services were called to Bridges Road in Stanlow after a large quantity of sawn timber and grass was set on fire.

Crews from Ellesmere Port Fire Station attended the blaze, which was thought to have been started intentionally but then got out of control when it was left unattended.

Firefighters used two hose reel jets to tackle the blaze. No-one is thought to have been hurt.