A MUM from Ellesmere Port was among holidaymakers struck by a norovirus outbreak at Butlin’s.

Kathleen Gilmovitch, 43, of Princes Road, was three days into a week-long family holiday when she fell ill.

About 200 holidaymakers were struck down with the highly contagious stomach bug at the holiday camp in Bognor Regis, West Sussex.

Many have now begun legal action to get compensation after the outbreak on June 11 brought on gastroenteritis.

The camp had been at almost full capacity with 5,000 guests and 1,200 staff on site.

Mrs Gilmovitch said: “The cramps were so bad that I would literally fall out of bed and crawl to the bathroom because I could not physically walk.

“I felt so unwell that I haven’t been able to eat much. I’ve never felt pain like it.”

Butlin’s offered a refund to all those affected and people planning a break at the site were given the opportunity to either rearrange or transfer their booking to another resort.

A spokesman for Butlin’s said: “We have a robust and well-practised procedure for dealing with any health risk to our guests.”

He said the ‘speedy reaction’ of staff had received the approval of health officials from Arun District Council and the Health Protection Agency.

Irwin Mitchell solicitors said 23 people had come forward so far suffering from symptoms.

Clive Garner, partner and head of the law firm’s travel law team, said: “As we have seen in so many of our cases, norovirus normally causes severe short-term symptoms. Unfortunately, for many who suffer the condition it an lead to long-lasting and even permanent health problems.”