THE elderly man who died in a bedroom fire in Swan Hill, Ellesmere, on Boxing Day morning was probably dead before the blaze broke out.
The victim, who was confirmed dead at the scene, is believed to have died before the bedroom in his bungalow was engulfed in smoke.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said they believed the man died from a medical condition prior to blaze - but that would be positively established at his post mortem.
A thorough investigation into the circumstances of the fire is being conducted by the Fire and Rescue Service and Police.
The coroner has been informed and will conduct a full inquest once the full facts have been established.
A Fire Service spokesman said today that forensic tests on the cause of the blaze were incomplete - and so couldn’t confirm whether an electric blanket was involved.