DISASTER was averted after a car burst into flames dangerously close to a petrol station in Ellesmere Port.

Firefighters from Ellesmere Port fire station had to act quickly – one firefighter using breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to extinguish the burning Audi car at about 10am on Wednesday, November 21.

The blaze was caused by an overheating laptop computer in the boot.

The police closed the road in both directions as it was reported that a small gas cylinder was in the boot of the car. This was cooled and the temperature monitored using a thermal imaging camera. Once it was established that there was no excessive heat in the cylinder the incident was handed over to the police.