A YOUNG family who escaped unharmed when a fire started by arsonists destroyed their home had received a life-saving visit just two weeks earlier.
Katrina Blackmore, her husband Richard and their three children managed to get out safely when their flat was ravaged by the blaze, which broke out in the Nip-In shop below on the corner of Siddorn Street and High Street at 1.30am on May 1.
And 28-year-old Katrina is convinced a Home Safety Assessment carried out by Cheshire firefighters two weeks previously saved their lives.
“I couldn’t see a thing in the smoke, but because of what the firefighters had told us both the children and I knew what to do,” she said.
“They had helped us develop an escape route that we had all practiced. So we didn’t panic, we just followed the plan and got out safely.
“Without the firefighters’ advice I think we would have all panicked. If that had happened I don’t think we would have all got out.”
Police say the fire was started by arsonists who threw a petrol bomb through the ground floor window of the shop. There have been no arrests, but the investigation is ongoing.
Katrina and Richard, and children Kieran, nine, Tyler, five and three-year-old Rosie have been temporarily re-homed at Gorse Hill Family Unit in Blacon, Chester.
Home Safety Assessments are available free to all Cheshire homes, and you can book by calling 0800 3890053.
Katrina said: “I have phoned all of my friends and told them to book one, and I would urge everyone to do the same. That’s what saved our lives that night.”