AN attempt to put some distance between Wrexham Supporters Trust and the owners of the League Two club met with limited success at last night's annual meeting of the fans' organisation.
Only two of the five candidates proposing a more sceptical approach to co-operation with businessmen Neville Dickens and Geoff Moss, were elected the to Trust's board, with the three other vacancies taken by board members seeking re-election.
Trust chairman Bruce Clapton said the year under review had been difficult both on and off the field, but he insisted there was an opportunity to secure a brighter future for the Dragons
"We are looking to put together a consortium to run the club when the current owners move on," he said, promising to deliver a report on viable options as soon as they were ready.
But fans made it clear they were unhappy with vague plans for proposed redevelopment around the Racecourse Stadium, claiming it was important for the retention of international football in North Wales that an all-seater stadium be included
Members were told the Trust made a profit in the year to December 31 last of £67,330, some £20,000 less than the previous year.
But membership increased by nearly 300 over the period and shareholders' total funds grew from £154,246 at the end of 1995 to £221,815.
And there was more good news for members when treasurer Mark Williams confirmed that Trust funds had broken through the £300,00 barrier in the first six months of the current year.
Members agreed that the cash should be ring-fenced for the purpose of buying equity in the club, either as part of a consortium or in the event of any future shares issue.