A 22-YEAR-OLD man was arrested on suspicion of arson after a blaze ravaged a house in Rudheath and killed two pets.
Firefighters, police and paramedics were called out to the property on Cotebrook Road at 11.30pm on Friday after youths raised the alarm.
The householders were not in, and there were no human casualties, but two pet dogs died, police confirmed.
A spokeswoman said: “Fortunately the occupiers of the house were not at home, but as a result of the fire the upstairs of the house suffered extensive damage and is currently uninhabitable.
“The occupiers of the house are understandably shocked and upset about the damage and the loss of their pets.”
A 22-year-old Northwich man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and hospitalised, but later arrested. He was released on bail until August 19. Police and fire investigators have combed the scene for clues, and inquiries are ongoing.
Investigating officer Det Con Mike Beamish said: “This has been a very traumatic time for the family involved. The fire caused considerable damage and has had a big impact on their lives.”
Witnesses, or anyone with information about the fire, is asked to call DC Beamish on 01244 613150, or CrimeStoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.