THIRTY-THREE people have been struck down with a rare form of salmonella, after eating cooked meat from a market stall.
Several were taken to hospital suffering from severe sickness and diarrhoea.
A cutting machine at Lowe's Chicken Barbeque stalls in Warrington market has been identified as the likely source of the outbreak.
Samples of cooked lamb, turkey, tongue, ham, beef and pork taken from the stall are being tested for traces of salmonella.
The stall's owners voluntarily shut the stall yesterday and it remains closed while environmental health experts ensure the source of the bacteria has been cleared.
People are being warned to destroy meat bought from the stall before Monday, November 17 and to consult their doctor if they have eaten any of the affected products.
Symptoms of this form of salmonella poisoning include abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fever and gastro-enteritis.
The illness normally takes three days to show and people can feel unwell for seven days.
Andrew Gilbert, assistant director for environmental health at Warrington, said: "The stall's owners have acted on our advice and we are confident that everything possible has now been done to remove the risk of further infection. We feel we are able to reassure the public that Lowe's business can continue trading safely."