A WIDOW is suing ICI after her husband died from asbestos-related cancer.
William Deakin died from malignant mesothelioma, a cancer of tissues surrounding lungs or abdomen, according to a writ issued in London's High Court. Widow Winsome Deakin, of Laurel Close, Barnton, is claiming damages from ICI Chemicals and Polymers, Runcorn.
She claims Mr Deakin developed cancer as a result of his work and accuses the company of negligence and breach of statutory duty which led to his death.
Mesothelioma is often linked to exposure to asbestos and the claim is the latest in a series of legal actions brought by cancer victims, or their relatives.
The writ indicates lawyers value the claim up to £250,000 and Dianne Yates, from Stoke's Thompsons Solicitors, said: 'The chemical industry is one where asbestos was prevalent during the time my client worked in it.
'We have seen a great many similar cases, not only across the Northwich area but across the country, where workers were exposed to dust through no fault of their own.'