A FAMILY have paid tribute to a mum who died after she was stung by a bee.
Alison Jane Piercy, of Moorfield Road, Hawarden, died on Sunday, April 25.
The 47-year-old mum was carrying out an evening inspection of her hives with her nephew Max Howe, 12, and friend and bee expert Ken Rawlings at Kelsterton Lane, Deeside.
Alison, an asthmatic, was stung under the eye and Max managed to take the sting out. She was initially fine but her condition deteriorated and she asked for her inhaler.
Mr Rawlings twice administered CPR in an attempt to save her. She was taken by ambulance to the Countess of Chester Hospital but despite more treatment she died.
Daughter Michaela, 21, a student at Bangor University, said: “She was a genuine and selfless person who would do anything to help others. She was the glue that held the family together and she will be sadly missed by us, her friends and colleagues.”
Alison and Max also operated hives in Holywell and Hawarden and were hoping to increase their numbers.
Her sister Susan Howe said Alison worked at the Hawarden Estate Farm Shop on Sundays and the hives at the shop started her interest in beekeeping.
“She was worried about the decline in the bee population and wanted to do something to help.
“Sadly, she died trying to save the bees.”
Alison, who is also survived by sisters Jennifer Bray, Emma Piercy and brother Michael Piercy, worked as a receptionist at Redrow headquarters on St David’s Park, Ewloe.
Her funeral will take place on May 7 in St Deiniol’s Church, Hawarden, at 1.15pm.
Neighbours Judith and David Hough said: “It is a tragedy. She was a very bouncy person and always left a smile on our faces. She was one in a million and she cannot be replaced.”
Hawarden Estate Farm Shop owner Alun Downes said: “Alison was a very sociable person and she had a certain style about her behind the till that was endearing to customers. She was very popular with the team.
“As a mark of respect, we’re closing the shop for a day to attend the funeral.”
A Redrow spokeswoman said: “Alison’s smile, quick wit and fun-loving spirit have left a void in reception. She will be greatly missed. Our very deepest sympathy goes to her family, especially her daughter.”