A SCRAPYARD is to appeal a £100,000 fine imposed for health and safety breaches which led to the death of an employee.
Deeside Metal Co, based in Saltney was fined £100,000 plus £10,000 costs by Judge Merfyn Hughes QC at Caernarfon Crown Court in December last year.
Mark Wright, 37, of Wrekin Way, Saltney, died in hospital the day after an explosion at the yard which occurred after he was told to crush aerosols in a baling machine.
The aerosols released a cloud of vapour which ignited and engulfed Mark in a ball of fire.
Robert Roberts, of Golftyn Drive, Connah’s Quay, who told Mark to carry out the task, was fined £10,000. Jeyes UK Ltd, where the aerosols originated, was fined £330,000 with £50,000 costs.
Judge Hughes said that ‘multiple management failures’ at Deeside Metal contributed to Mark’s death and that director Andrew Graham’s belief that company directors were not responsible for health and safety was described as ‘wholly unacceptable and potentially dangerous’.
However, he gave the company four years to pay after their barrister argued that the company didn’t make enough money to pay the fine.
Graham, of Station Lane, Mickle Trafford, is also director of four other companies, including one which sells industrial safety equipment and another with a net worth of more than £3.3m.
The appeal against the fine was lodged with the Court of Appeal and a judge will decide whether to allow the application within six weeks.
Mark’s mother Dorothy Wright said: “It is to be hoped that the appeal judge will be as fair as the one who imposed the fine, I thought four years to pay was accommodating in the extreme.
“However, I have no faith at all in the system so no doubt it will be reduced.”