A PAVILION features in £3.5m plans to restore Grosvenor Park in Chester to its original landscape.
The proposed demolition of the toilet block and relocation of play facilities would create space for the pavilion designed in the spirit of Cheshire architect John Douglas, who conceived the Park Lodge.
The building would provide a much requested shelter and a facility for arts and crafts demonstrations, temporary art exhibitions plus horticultural and heritage skills training as delivered by Reaseheath College and BTCV.
The proposals are part of a planning application by Cheshire West and Council after the park made it through the first stage of bidding for Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) cash.
The authority was awarded £94,300 HLF funding to progress the scheme and will now make a bid for £2.26m from the HLF. If successful the council would be responsible for raising the remainder.
Another element of the proposed works involves the refurbishment and sensitive extension of the Grade II listed Park Lodge, which would include a cafe with a kiosk.
The overall scheme seeks to restore the nationally significant park, which opened in 1867, by repairing its declining fabric, including the footpaths.
Listed features within the park, such as St Michael’s Church Arch, St Mary’s Nunnery Arch, Jacob’s Well Drinking Fountain, the canopy of Billy Hobby’s well and the park’s boundary wall and gates would be repaired in a sensitive manner.
The park was a gift to the city from Richard Grosvenor, the Second Marquis of Westminster. The original landscape was designed by Edward Kemp.