AN 11-YEAR-old girl has had her last few days of primary school ruined after a scalding incident at the high school she will join in September.
Jade Jones, of Vicars Cross, turned on a tap at Christleton High School on Tuesday evening hoping to get a drink of cold water.
Instead it was boiling hot water which splashed off the sink and into her face.
Jade, who was accompanied by her mother Marie at the open evening, had to go to the Countess of Chester Hospital where she was treated for burns to her face.
Now recovering, Jade was determined to spend her last three days at Christleton Primary even though her face is bandaged up and she is feeling below par.
But her mum Marie, 31, who also has children Jack, six, and Chloe, five, is not happy about the way Christleton High dealt with the incident.
She said: 'I wouldn't have minded if someone had taken my number to see how she was getting on. There was no after care. No-one has rung me. It was not dealt with appropriately.'
Marie, who works for Sainsbury's at Boughton, is hopeful Jade will not suffer permanent scarring but visited the school to vent her anger. She admits staff were 'very apologetic' but has not ruled out legal action.
Marie said Jade was desperate for the toilet so went off with a friend to find one. They entered the sixth form common room where they came across a sink incorporating a geyser which the girls thought was a water cooler.
'She turned the tap, it came on and splashed into the sink and on to her face. It could have gone into her eyes,' said Marie. 'She was hyperventilating and very distressed.'
Marie accepted there was a sign saying 'boiling water' but it was too high for an 11-year-old to read and she felt the room should have been locked.
'There was no emergency room, no First Aid room. They just put a chair by the sink for Jade to wash her face.'
Fortunately, Jade knew to get cold water on the burns as soon as possible because of a programme run by Christleton Primary. Paramedics.
Jade said: 'It did sting a lot when they were dressing it. It's all right now.'
Concern and upset at incident
Cheshire County Council spokeswoman Shirley Wingfield said: 'Immediately the school was informed a first aider was located and an ambulance called. Medical advice was given over the phone and followed.
'We have expressed our concern and upset. 'The sixth form common room had been left open to meet fire regulations and there are two warning signs on the geyser itself.
'The school regrets that such an accident happened to one of its prospective pupils and was pleased to hear from mum that Jade was back in school the next day.
'Mum has promised to contact the school to update on Jade's progress following a hospital visit.'
She said the council's health and safety team had been told and any recommendations would be taken on board.