POLICE cordoned off Church Street, Frodsham, after reports of a gas leak at The Pizza Pan takeaway in Eddisbury Square at 2.05pm on Friday, January 18.
The immediate area and neighbouring premises Frodsham News and Oxfam were evacuated.
Frodsham News owner Eileen Shone said: “At about 1.30pm customers started coming into the shop saying they could smell gas from next door.
“We called the National Grid but they said it would take an hour for them to arrive so I also called the police.
“They decided to cordon off the square and we were evacuated for around one-and-a-half hours.
“We were really pleased with the response from police – they were fantastic.”
At about 3.20pm the area was reopened after National Grid engineers found gas levels were safe.
A National Grid spokesman said: “It turns out there was a gas escape in a fast food takeaway. There was quite a smell of gas in the area. When we put it out we found it was a problem with the supply in the restaurant. We turned off the supply and made it safe.”
The natural gas, used in buildings for heating and cooking, is odourless and its distinctive rotting vegetable smell is added for safety.