A pooch had a lucky escape from a house fire in Ellesmere Port on Sunday (November 16).

Firefighters came to the rescue of King Charles Spaniel Gabby-do after discovering the fire while fitting smoke alarms in the property next door on

Hawthorn Road, Little Sutton.

When the crew heard beeping and smelt smoke at around 3.35pm, their investigations led them to look through the letter box of a neighbouring

house and they saw it was full of smoke and found the windows were hot to touch.

They immediately requested another fire engine, and with their breathing apparatus on, they broke down the door and began searching the

property for anyone inside and the location of the fire.

When they looked under the stairs, two firefighters found the family dog and rescued the King Charles Spaniel named Gabby-do.

The fire was found in the living room and extinguished using a hose reel jet.

Watch manager Paul Janion said: “This fire could have been so much worse had the firefighters not heard the smoke alarm and investigated


"It is yet another example of the importance of having a working smoke alarm, they really do save lives and alert people to fires.

“We searched the house to make sure no one was inside and as we walked out the family arrived home, welcomed by their dog, which they must

have feared the worst for. I am really pleased the crew were in the area at the time and prevented the fire spreading any further.”

The house suffered fire and smoke damage to the living room and the rest of the house was also smoke damaged.

The cause of the blaze is believed to be electrical as a result of a plug socket.