A cricket club is appealing for help from the community after a fire burned out its club house.

Members and players at Christleton Cricket and Football Club, Little Heath Road, Christleton, were devastated to discover the inside of their home base wrecked, with damage to the bar and stock, lounge area and furniture, ceilings, floor, windows and doors.

The fire, which broke out during the early hours of Sunday, June 15, is thought to have burnt itself out due to lack of oxygen by the time firefighters were called. Forensic experts have combed the scene looking for clues, with the most likely cause thought to be an electrical fault.

Damage is estimated at tens of thousands of pounds. A specialist company will assist with the disposal of the burnt-out contents.

The changing area is at the other end of the building and was not directly involved in the blaze but is unusable because of the toxic dust in the atmosphere.

During the good weather, players have been able to change outside and limited refreshments have been provided although there are no shower facilities. However, the clubhouse facilities are likely to be out of action for several months so assistance would be appreciated.

A club spokesman explained that damage to the clubhouse was covered by insurance but the cost of hiring a temporary building wasn’t.

He appealed: “We are asking if there’s anybody out there who’s got a portable building or mobile school classroom we could use for cricket teas for the time-being. We are in one of the best leagues in Cheshire and we have to offer good facilities.”

Anybody able to help is asked to contact Dave Marks, who is leading the team dealing with the aftermath of the blaze, by calling 07785 242450.