A former soldier shouted an American journalist beheaded by the terrorist group ISIS deserved it because he “wasn’t English” during a racist rant.

Matthew Linton, 31, hurled abuse at a couple sat in a car, shouting that Polish people needed to go back to “your own country”, during the outburst outside a curry house in Blacon.

Onlookers watched in horror as the former solider ranted that “the American person who was decapitated deserved it”, during the incident at 10.15pm on Wednesday, August 20.

The outburst came just a day after shocking footage appeared online showing American journalist James Foley being beheaded by an Islamic State fighter.

But Linton, of Brentwood Road in Blacon, told police he shouted the remarks after drinking 14 pints of lager, Chester Magistrates Court heard on Friday (September 12).

Linton – who served in the 3rd Battalion the Mercian Regiment, Staffordshire, and has fought in Afghanistan – told police the comments were “sticks and stones” after being arrested and interviewed by officers.

When officers arrived at the curry house on the Parade, Linton held his hands behind his back ready to be handcuffed, the court heard.

“He was making abusive comments about Polish people and that the government were doing nothing about it,” said Amanda Cullen, prosecuting.

“He said the American person who was decapitated deserved it because he was not English.”

During interview Linton was asked why he had made the racist comments about the Polish community and he said: “I hate them”.

He then said he made the comments because he was drunk, and that he did not believe anyone would be alarmed by his drunken remarks, the court heard.

Linton, who currently does agency work for a recycling firm, has previous convictions for assault and drunk and disorderly behaviour.

He pleaded guilty to using behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Hearing his criminal record read out in court, Linton, who represented himself, said: “That is not the person I believe I am.

“I am not going to be coming near you again.”

He was fined £225, ordered to pay a £23 victim surcharge and court costs of £85.

He was reprimanded for appearing in court wearing shorts.