A PET owner has spoken of her sorrow after her cat became the latest in a series of victims of deliberate poisoning.
Mother-of-one Amy Phillips, of Moorhouse Close, in Upton, has been left devastated by the death of her beloved pet Charlie who died last week after ingesting a poisonous substance in the back garden of their home.
Charlie is the latest cat to have been killed by deliberate poisoning in the Upton area in recent months, including four cats belonging to Amy’s next door neighbours.
The pets are by enticed by food laced with anti-freeze, which is left lying around for them to eat.
Charlie’s internal organs had been so badly affected by the poison that Amy had to spend her son’s fourth birthday at the vets as the pet died.
The 22-year-old mum said she is now too anxious to let her other cat outside, for fear of the same thing happening again.
“I’m keeping her indoors now which she hates, and I’m also frightened to let my son outside in case he picks something up and eats it – it is horrible to think that somebody who lives close to us is capable of being so cruel,” she said.
Now Amy is distributing leaflets around the Upton area to warn cat owners of the symptoms of poisoning, and is also lending her support to an online campaign to make the taste of antifreeze more bitter, so it is less appealing to cats.
Anna Stanley, who owns Chester Cat Care has offered some advice for cat owners.
She said: “We would urge all cat owners to monitor their pets closely and ensure that they seek veterinary attention as soon as possible if their cats show signs of illness.”
If discovered, culprits face a maximum six-month prison sentence and/or a £20,000 fine under the Animal Welfare Act. If you suspect a cat is being poisoned, call the RSPCA’s 24-hour helpline on 0300 1234 999.