A 14-YEAR-OLD boy who created a one-man crime wave in the summer, carrying out a spate of street assaults and robberies on other youths, has failed to persuade top judges that his two-year sentence was too long.
The teenager, who was identified by the court only as B for legal reasons, created a reign of terror in the Chester area, committing 18 offences in just three months, battering and robbing other teenagers including a girl, an 11-year-old boy and a 20-year-old student.
At Chester Crown Court on September 27 this year he was sentenced to a two-year detention and training order.
He admitted two counts of common assault, one of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three thefts, two robberies, one attempted robbery, one of witness intimidation, one of criminal damage, two of breaching an ASBO, one of taking a vehicle without consent, one of driving without insurance and whilst disqualified and offences of breaching bail and a supervision order.
This week he asked Mr Justice Penry-Davey, sitting with Mr Justice Treacy and Sir Michael Wright at London's Criminal Appeal Court, to cut that sentence, arguing that it had been too long.
The judge told the court how B had a habit of attacking other youths as they cycled about the street near their homes, sometimes robbing them, sometimes knocking them down and dealing out a beating with other members of his gang.
'Unfortunately his family situation is chaotic and he had no parental support or guidance for some time. He represents a high risk of re-offending,' said the judge.
Lawyers for B asked the judges to reduce his sentence today, claiming that it had been manifestly excessive in light of his guilty plea.
Two years is the longest period for which the courts can legally impose a detention and training order.
But Mr Justice Penry-Davey dismissed his sentence appeal, saying: 'This catalogue of offences is shocking in one so young. It is quite clear that he was totally out of control at the time of these offences.'