A CHESTER man died more than five decades after being exposed to asbestos fibres, an inquest heard.
Devoted husband and father George Guest, of Raymond Street, died at the Countess of Chester Hospital in July 2010, aged 68.
The inquest heard how Mr Guest had spent almost four years working for a construction company, building railway carriages, after leaving school in 1957 as a teenager in his home town of Sheffield.
He helped to construct carriages that contained both spray and sheet forms of asbestos, and was exposed to an unventilated atmosphere where pieces of insulation were often left lying around his workspace.
Mr Guest later joined the Army and then worked as a heavy goods vehicle driver after moving to Chester where his wife Kathleen’s family lived.
He was diagnosed in 2009 with mesothelioma, a lung cancer resulting from exposure to asbestos.
Recording a verdict of death due to the industrial disease, Cheshire coroner Nicolas Rheinberg said: “Mr Guest would have inhaled copious amounts of asbestos fibres and this was almost certainly the cause of mesothelioma, even though it was was more than 50 years ago.”
After the inquest, Mr Guest’s family paid tribute to a ‘brilliant’ man who would be ‘very sadly missed’.
His younger brother Barry who followed him to the Chester area from Sheffield, added that the pair were ‘best friends’.
“We were extremely close, he was my mentor really. I joined the army like him and we served together,” he said.
“This is a very strange illness and disease, it is amazing how long it took to do damage.”
Mr Guest’s daughter, Dawn, 37, added: “My dad was ill for a year with the disease but he never complained. He was so brave.”