Chester has dozens of pubs today, but there are many that have been confined to the realms of history.
Here, thanks to the kind permission of the publishers of Chester Through Time, written by local historians Paul Hurley and Len Morgan, we can take a look at some of Chester’s pubs, some of which still stand today and others that have simply been forgotten.
The Bars Hotel - Foregate Street). Part of this tavern later became The King’s Disco, Tiffany’s and finally Cindarella Rockefeller’s. It was demolished to make way for an apartment development.
The Yacht Inn used to be a popular drinking venue and was recorded as being used as a polling station, according to The Vanished Pubs of Chester on the Chesterwalls.info website. It was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the widening of Nicholas Street as part of the inner ring road.
The Feathers Hotel on Bridge Street was demolished in 1865 to make way for St. Michael’s Arcade, which elaborate Tudor elevation now forms one of the entrances to the Grosvenor Precinct.
The Golden Cock Inn was built in 1707 and was trading as an inn on Castle Street by 1822.
The Pied Bull on Upper Northgate Street is the oldest licensed house in Chester and is still a popular place to drink today. Its cellar is said to be haunted by the ghost of a cellar man from 1609 and two guest rooms are apparently haunted by a chamber maid from the 19th century.
Its neighbour, The Blue Bell is the oldest surviving domestic structure in the city, as well as the only example of a medieval inn. First named ‘The Bell’, its moniker was derived from the Curfew Bell, which was situated next door in the Bell Yard. It was then named ‘The Blue Bell’ to distinguish it from other establishments.
The Custom House on Watergate Street was originally a town house built in 1637 and later became a pub. It gets its name from the real custom house building over the street, and still stands today.