Opening of Richmond Court homeless facility postponed until next year
The opening of a new homeless facility has been postponed until January 2014 following discussions with residents.
Work is on-going to convert the former Richmond Court old people’s home into a 36-bed hostel in Boughton, Chester.
The facility was originally due to open its doors on November 4.
But Cheshire West and Chester Council, supported by its homelessness service provider, Foundation Enterprises North West, has now agreed to a January opening date to coincide with the provision of extra CCTV in the area – providing a consultation concludes it is a good idea.
Councillor Lynn Riley, executive member for localities, said: “The council is committed to working with and listening to local residents, service users and providers to ensure that all parties’ needs are met.
“We are working closely with the local community to ensure that they feel safe and secure and postponing until January in order to coincide with the installation of additional CCTV cameras currently under consultation is a prime example of us doing just that.
“This is an extremely positive step. Our decision was shared with residents at the City Community Forum last week and has been welcomed. Our Locality team will continue to build good relationships with the community going forward.”
Local member, Councillor David Robinson, said: “It makes sense that mitigation measures are in place to coincide with the opening of the homeless hub.
“It’s important that Boughton residents give a strong clear response to the current consultation so I urge everyone to take part.”