Two fire engines from Ellesmere Port and one from Chester were called to the property in The Crescent just before 3pm, after an unattended cooker led to a fire and severe smoke in the house.
Crews had to close the road and wear breathing apparatus to rescue the woman, using two hose reel jets and a high pressure fan to combat the blaze and clear the house of smoke.
The woman, who was suffering from smoke inhalation was treated by paramedics and then taken to hospital as a precaution.
The incident has led Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service to issue the following important safety advice about cooking in the home:
How to cook safely
Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Make sure saucepan handles don't stick out - so they don't get knocked off the stove.
- Take care if you're wearing loose clothing - they can easily catch fire.
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
- Double check the cooker is off when you've finished cooking.
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
Take care with electrics
- Keep electrics (leads and appliances) away from water.
- Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
Deep fat frying
Take care when cooking with hot oil - it sets alight easily.
- Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn't splash.
- If the oil starts to smoke - it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can't overheat.
What to do if a pan catches fire
- Don't take any risks. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it.
- Don't tackle the fire yourself - Get Out, Stay Out, Call 999.