ATHLETICS: A NUMBER of UK road-ranking performances have been achieved in West Cheshire AC road races this year.
Great Britain international Helen Lawrence and Lisa Heyes have claimed West Cheshire AC events with impressive winning times during the last 12 months.
Helen, who represents Wirral AC and the City of Chester Tri Club, clocked 16 minutes 39 seconds to win the West Cheshire 5k in July and added the ladies' title at the Birchwood 10k in 34.02 last week, to go second overall in this year's 5k UK women's road-running ranking lists.
Helen is also seventh in the UK women's five-miles list this year having posted a time of 27 minutes 24 seconds at the Chester Spring Five Miles Road Race in April.
And her time of 76mins 28sec in March at the Wilmslow Half Marathon has earned Helen 11th position in the women's UK half-marathon ranking list for this year.
Lisa Heyes was crowned this year's winner of the ladies title at the Chester Half Marathon held in May.
The Salford AC athlete's time of 75mins 57secs is the eighth best performance over the 13.1-mile distance in the UK this year, and places Lisa just one place behind Great Britain international Liz Yelling.
Nick Jones, who celebrated success in the Chester Spring Five, West Cheshire 5k, and Chester Half Marathon this year, is ranked in the UK 5k listings. Nick, a Tipton Harriers member and Great Britain international, posted a time of 15mins 15secs to win the West Cheshire 5k title and secure 34th position in the table.
* Simon Ellis led Tattenhall Runners home in the Gyrn Gallop, a seven-mile mixed terrain race, in second place in 45.9, followed by Dave Ratcliffe in 15th place in 53.41 (first male vet 55), Greg Berti 59.06, Dave Clarke 64.17 and Tessa Swaine 72.26.
James Ellis won a junior mile race in 6mins 12secs, and in the half-mile race his brother Michael was third.
* Road Runners in the locality aiming to clock a fast 10k time and currently looking for a fixture should look no further than West Cheshire AC's Sutton Six 10k Road Race at Guilden Sutton, near Chester, on Sunday, September 21 (11am start).
Further details are available from Richard Batterham, Ranelagh, Guilden Sutton, Chester CH3 7ET. The event is supplemented by a one-and-a-half-mile open run which is scheduled to start at 12.15pm.
* West Cheshire AC members wishing to compete in the North West Road Relay Championships at Sefton Park, Liverpool, on Saturday, September 20, should contact Dennis Wall on 0151 201 1254. Entries close on September 5.
* Fixtures on Sunday include an open track and field meeting at Bebington Oval, hosted by Wirral AC, and a track and field medal meeting at Nelson hosted by Pendle AC.
Forthcoming fixtures include the final round of the Deestriders Off Road Grand Prix Races at Shotton, on Friday, September 5 (7pm start).
Entries close on September 6 for the Colwyn Bay AC Games being staged on Saturday, September 13. Further details from Mr M Brighouse. Tel: 01745 855821.
The Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon takes place on Sunday, September 14, and details can be received from Doug Morris, on 01691 653338.
The Liverpool International Half Marathon and 10k Road Race take place on Sunday, October 12. Details on 0151 233 3007.
The Sandstone Trail Races are taking place on Sunday, October 5, from Duckington and Beeston Castle. Details from Barry Barnes, on 01606 888845.
The Chester Zoo 10k Road Race gets under starter's orders on Sunday, October 19 (11.15am start). Contact Roger Knight, 8 Wenlock Gardens, Great Sutton, Cheshire CH66 2QZ.
The Flintshire 10k also takes place on October 19, from Mold Sports Centre (noon start). Ring Neil Dunn on 01244 831731 for further details.
And entry forms are now available for the popular Shell Four Villages Half Marathon being held from Helsby, on Sunday, January 18 (11am start). Contact the race secretary, 6 Fieldway, Frodsham, Cheshire WA6 6RQ for more details.
* This season's Cheshire Cross-Country League will start on December 28, at Frodsham, and will be followed on February 15 at a venue to be confirmed. The final round will be held on March 14, at Stockport.
The Cheshire County Cross-Country Championships will be staged at Knight's Grange Sports Centre, Winsford, on Saturday, January 3, 2004.
The Summer Multi-Terrain League will be staged throughout September on Tuesday evenings.The full list of fixtures is: September 2, at Royden Park, Frankby (7pm); September 9, at Eastham Woods (7pm); September 16, at Harrison Drive, New Brighton/Wallasey (6.30pm); and September 23, at Arrowe Park - Golf Course entrance (6.30pm).