ATHLETICS: CHESHIRE Tigers' ladies finished runners-up in the final round of the National Junior League at Wigan on Sunday to secure second place overall behind Wigan AC.
Laura Bestow rounded the 1,500m for victory in 4:54.1 and Gemma Livesley grabbed first spot in the B string in 5:34.4.
Leanne Henning, Michelle Robbins, Heather Robbins, Siobhan Tarbuck, and Amanda Scott secured other vital points.
Cheshire Tigers' depleted men provided some fine performances to take sixth spot on the day and seventh in the overall standings.
Thomas Stringer celebrated glory in the 400m hurdles in 60.5secs, just half a second outside his personal best, while Stephen Butterfield clinched second spot in the 100m with a time of 11.8 seconds.
Paul Bateson smashed his long-jump best with 5.79m for third spot, after clearing 1.70m in the high jump, and then followed up with an impressive triple jump of 11.34m.
Andrew Gore grabbed victory in his B 400m hurdles with a time of 65.1secs, and claimed runners-up spot in both pole vault (2.40m) and triple jump (10.98m).
Nick Clay battled hard for points in the 100m and 200m, and Mike Woodall scored good points from three events.
* Mary Radford of West Cheshire AC has clinched silver at the World Masters Athletics Championships.
She was a member of the Over 55 Great Britain cross-country team at the event staged at Puerto Rico.
* Six members of West Cheshire AC travelled to Warrington on Sunday for the Birchwood 10k Road Race which incorporated the Cheshire 10k Championships and the final round of the Cheshire Road Race Grand Prix Series.
Club treasurer Graham Jenkins spearheaded the charge, finishing in a time of 35min 31sec to secure 33rd position, ahead of Iain Wedge (46th in 36:21); Paul Price (146th, 40:28); Bill Vinton (204th, 42:05); Brian Beattie (256th, 43:39); and Mark Povey (363rd, 46:55).
West Cheshire AC's men finished seventh on the day in the Cheshire Grand Prix with 367 points.
Tony Hyland (74th in 37:47); Steven Crowe (107th, 39:20); Paul Robertson (109th, 39:22); Tony Smith (110th, 39:22); John Jennings (165th, 41:01); Matthew Whitfield (168th, 41:05); and Alan Durston (190th, 41:45), pushed Ellesmere Port Running Club into fourth team spot on 425 points.
Ellesmere Port Running Club's Nicola Bird was third in the county race and 10th lady overall in a time of 39:34, just 24 seconds behind county silver medallist Rachel Pleath, of Macclesfield.
* Fixtures this week include the Deeside AAC Track and Field Grand Prix at Deeside Stadium, Connah's Quay, on Friday (7pm).
* Entries are being accepted for West Cheshire AC's Sutton Six 10k Road Race, at Guilden Sutton, Chester, on Sunday, September 21, (11am). Contact Richard Batterham, Ranelagh, School Lane, Guilden Sutton, Chester CH3 7ET.
* For more details on West Cheshire AC, contact Dennis Wall on 0151 201 1254.