ATHLETICS: WEST CHESHIRE AC'S men completed a hat-trick of victories at Tattenhall on Sunday.
The purple-vested men's team, representing Chester and Ellesmere Port, recorded their third successive win at the third round of the popular Borders Road Running League.
Ken Begley demonstrated his strength and speed to secure second spot after covering the 6.1 mile route in a time of 33 minutes 37 seconds, finishing adrift of winner, Simon Shiels (Abergele), who clocked 31:52.
Andy Starkey was second home for West Cheshire in 34:31 to seal fifth position, ahead of club mates Ian Wedge (7th) and Duncan Bell (8th), who clocked an identical time of 35:05.
Dave Tiernan posted 35:28 for 11th position, ahead of Graham Jenkins (13th in 35:38), and Gary Withers (14th in 35:40).
The West Cheshire AC team finished on 127 points, ahead of runners-up Buckley on 374 and Ellesmere Port Running Club third on 385.
West Cheshire AC are top of the Borders League after three rounds with 523 points, ahead of Buckley in second on 1085 and Wirral AC in third with 1342.
Other West Cheshire AC members in action at Tattenhall included: John McGill (75th in 39:49); Dave Fisher (95th in 40:51); Chris Rhodes (102nd in 41:19); Steve Hutton (103rd in 41:22); Dave Hough (109th in 41:50); Brian Beattie (121st in 42:37); Alan Cooper (128th in 43:09); Frances Mudway (200th, 35th lady, in 51:42); and Mike Lamb (207th in 52:20).
WEST CHESHIRE AC youngsters celebrated four victories at Whitby Park on Saturday at the second round of the West Cheshire AC Open Junior Cross Country Race Series.
Danielle Bentley grabbed a win in the under-11 girls race after covering the one mile course in a time of seven minutes 25 seconds, from second-placed club mate Gemma Mayled, just three seconds behind. Katie Gardner (Crewe and Nantwich AC) finished third in 7:37.
West Cheshire AC achieved a one-two-three in the U15 girls event. Kerry Riley won in 10:33 from runner-up Ruth Pritchard in 10:56, and third-placed Rebecca Grimes in 11:06.
Thomas Lowndes of West Cheshire AC claimed success in the U13 boys race with a time of 10:35, from secondplaced club mate Michael Heighway in 11:26.
* ENTRIES are now being accepted for the Chester Round The Walls Races to be held on Boxing Day from Chester Racecourse (11am start). Further details from Brian Hastings on (01244) 311908.
West Cheshire AC are requesting members to turn up and volunteer as marshals and helpers at the Roodee on Boxing Day, who should arrive no later than 9.30am.
* ANY West Cheshire AC member wanting to compete in the Cheshire County AA Cross Country Championships at Winsford on Saturday January 3 should contact either Dennis Wall on (0151) 201 1254 or Mike Lamb on (0151) 355 2520 as soon as possible.
* THE first round of the Cheshire Cross Country League will take place at Frodsham's Castle Park, on Sunday December 28. The first race, for U11 girls, will get underway at 12.30pm, followed by:
12.45pm, U11 boys and U13 girls;
1.10pm, U13 boys and U15 girls;
1.30pm, U15 boys and U17 ladies; 2pm, U17 Youths and Senior and Veteran Ladies; 2.30pm, U20, Senior and Veteran Men.
* FIXTURES this weekend include the Christmas Fun Handicap for West Cheshire AC juniors at Stanney High School, Ellesmere Port, on Saturday, (10am start).
* WEST Cheshire AC members are being encouraged to attend a training session at Castle Park, Frodsham, on Sunday. Anyone interested should assemble at Stanney High School for 9.30am.
* FURTHER details about West Cheshire AC can be obtained from Dennis Wall on (0151) 201 1254 (evenings).