Blues fans have been accustomed to extreme highs and lows over the years but rarely can such polar emotions have been experienced in the same game.

After an untidy opening between two sides feeling the tension, Chester FC netted three times in 11 minutes to leave the 386 travelling supporters on cloud nine and wondering what all the pre-game fuss had been about.

Tamworth were poor but did manage to get one back although when Matty Taylor completed his hat-trick - the excellent John Rooney got the other - on 52 minutes the home side looked dead and buried.

Holding a 4-1 lead with less then 20 minutes left, the visitors were moving the ball with confidence and looked to be cruising to the win with the away end roaring them on.

But confidence is a fragile beast and when Matthew Godden grabbed his second on 75 minutes the mood changed. Tamworth sensed a weakness and went for the jugular as the Blues began to wilt.

Richard Peniket pulled them to within one goal with eight minutes to go and the nail-biting began as the Lambs launched an aerial bombardment but the visitors survived to hold on for a memorable win.

Steve Burr made one change to the side which drew 1-1 at Lincoln City on Saturday with central defender Paul Linwood slotting in at left back for the injured Joe Heath. New signing Brendon Daniels was named on the bench with Michael Kay dropping out of the squad.

Lambs boss Dale Belford welcomed back Nick Chadwick after the ex-Chester City man missed the 1-1 home draw with Welling United through injury.

Both sides struggled to keep the ball on the deck in the opening to the game but the first chance fell to the home side on 10 minutes.

Blues defender Matty Brown missed his header and Chadwick burst into the box before pulling the ball back to Godden but the on-loan Scunthorpe United striker blasted over from 10 yards out.

Belford's decision to start with Chadwick backfired on 15 minutes with the centre forward limping off and Andy Haworth coming on.

Nerves were clearly having an impact on both sets of players but Chester eventually settled down and began to exert some pressure.

Linwood headed a Rooney corner towards goal but his effort was deflected behind giving Rooney another chance to curl the ball into the area.

Tamworth cleared but gave the ball straight back to the visitors and Rooney found himself with space in the area. He clipped the ball into the six yard box where Taylor bundled the ball over the line to put the Blues ahead on 23 minutes.

Rooney doubled the lead seven minutes later with a goal that would have had television pundits drooling had his brother Wayne scored it. Picking up the ball 30 yards out, Rooney was allowed far too much time and curled a delightful strike into the bottom corner on 30 minutes.

Godden instantly came close to pulling one back when he let fly from 25 yards but Aaron Chapman produced a save of the highest quality to tip his thumping strike onto the bar.

Tamworth found themselves three down on 34 minutes when Michael Townsend made a mess of mopping up a hopeful long pass. Taylor pounced on his mistake and although Belford kept out his initial strike the ball rebounded off the striker for his second of the game.

The hosts produced some half-decent stuff in attack, but that was in stark contrast to the schoolboy defending at the other end.

Burr's men were full of confidence with Rooney having an audacious attempt from near halfway and Belford saving well when Craig Mahon fired in a volley from outside the box.

Tamworth did pull one back two minutes before half time when Peniket clipped the ball into the area and Godden lifted over the diving Chapman.

Undeterred, the visitors kept on pressing with Seddon having a 'goal' ruled out for offside and twice forcing Belford into saves with headers from Rooney free kicks before the break.

Seddon should have put the Blues further in front on 53 minutes after breaking clear but dragged his shot wide of the upright.

Tamworth looked to be making the game more of an even contest but the visitors scored a fourth goal on the hour mark and again it was that man Taylor.

Rooney - running the show from behind Seddon - chipped a delightful pass over the defence and Taylor took one touch before firing past Belford to complete his hat-trick.

Three down and with time against them, the hosts began to throw men forward with Godden sending a half-volley well over and sub Andy Todd forcing Chapman into a save.

Godden gave the Lambs hope on 75 minutes with his second, exploiting some slack defence to round Chapman and cleverly lift the ball past the sliding Ross Killock.

Chapman was called into action again to keep out Jack Evans' low drive but the home side sensed an unlikely comeback and cut the lead to a solitary goal eight minutes from time.

Sub Jessy Reindorf touched the ball into the path of Peniket and the midfielder smashed a low drive into the bottom corner.

Reindorf proved a sizeable thorn in the Blues side having been replaced Hildreth and Tamworth threw everything forward in the final stages.

Referee Darren Handley decided there would be an additional five minutes but the visitors hung on grimly for a crucial result, albeit one that was far more difficult than it should have been.

Tamworth: Belford, Keane, Richards-Everton, Townsend (Todd 38), Fenton, Evans, G Mahon, Hildreth (Reindorf 72) , Peniket, Chadwick (Haworth 15), Godden.

Subs: Kerry, Baker-Richardson.

Goals: Godden 43 and 75, Peniket 82.

Booked: G Mahon, Fenton, Hildreth, Reindorf.

Chester FC: Chapman,Turner, Killock, Brown, Linwood, Rooney, Bond, Jarrett, C Mahon (Menagh 70), Taylor, Seddon.

Subs: Danby, Mainwaring, Lindfield, Daniels.

Goals: Taylor 23, 34 and 60, Rooney 30.

Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire)

Attendance: 1,036.