It was the same old story as Chester's losing start to the season stretched to five games.

For the second time in the space of 48 hours the Blues more than matched opponents that come April should be challenging for the title.

But their total inability to defend set-pieces once again robbed them off the chance of picking up their first point of the Skrill Premier campaign.

Two goals from corners, headed in by Danny Wright and Matthew Barnes-Homer, gave Forest Green an advantage they did not merit.

Ben Mills halved the deficit late on but, like against Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday, there was to be no grandstand finish.

Chester's players deserved one just for the sheer effort they put into the most demanding of bank holiday weekend double-headers, a fact Neil Young recognised after the match.

But the Blues boss knows their endeavour will continue to go in vain if they do not stop making the most elementary of defensive mistakes.

Young, who was unhappy with the performance of the referee, said: "We lost the game because we can't defend set-pieces.

"I can't do any more for them. I even took two men off the posts today to get more bodies in the box.

"It's just one-on-one defending, although the first goal we thought was a foul.

"If you let your man be stronger than you and don't block him off you're going to concede goals.

"If we did our jobs we might have come away with a scrappy point or even have won the game.

"I  could put a tape recorder on and walk out the dressing room because I'm saying the same things week in and week out.

"At this moment in time we can't stay in the game and that's why we've lost again.

"We've played some very good teams but you would not say we've been footballed off the park or opened up. We've been done by mistakes."

Young dropped a bombshell before the game when he axed goalkeeper John Danby from his starting line-up.

It was the first time that Danby, who was replaced between the posts by Martin Fearon, had been dropped since returning to the Deva Stadium.

Mills and Lee Pugh, like Fearon, were handed first starts of the season while captain George Horan was recalled after being benched for the 3-1 defeat at Kidderminster.

Young's new-look 4-1-2-1-2 formation remained the same, however, as did his team's wretched failure to deal with corners.

After a bright start in which the pace of Alex Titchiner and the long throw of Pugh caused Forest Green considerable concern, Chester fell behind in the fifth minute in a manner which has become all too familiar to their supporters.

Marcus Kelly swung in a corner left-footed and Wright rose highest and unopposed to head past the flat-footed Fearon.

It was the fourth match running that the Blues have conceded from a set-piece.

Former Wrexham striker Wright was one of a number of high profile summer signings made my moneybags Forest Green and their millionaire owner, Green Energy tycoon Dale Vince.

But their inconsistent start to the campaign offered hope to a home side who momentarily looked drained of confidence.

Backed by a fervent crowd who - with some justification - felt that referee Anthony Blackhouse was giving their team little in the way of decisions, Chester fought back.

An excellent one-touch move involving Kevin McIntyre, Jordan Laidler, Mills and Titchiner ended with the latter seeing his close-range effort blocked.

The introduction of the pacy Titchiner and the intelligent Laidler has given the Blues greater variety up front.

But they still lack a cutting edge and they would have been two goals down at the break had Fearon not made a brilliant blocked save from Wright.

When Forest Green's second goal did arrive, in the 73rd minute, it was simplicity itself.

Yan Klukowski's corner to the back post was met by Barnes-Homer, who brushed off his marker to flash a header past Fearon.

Young responded by replacing Titchiner with Jamie Reed but it was Mills who struck 10 minutes from time, nodding over Sam Russell after the ball broke to him in the box.

That was that. Next up -Wrexham.

Chester: Fearon, L Turner, Kay, Horan, Pugh, N Turner, Harrison, McIntyre, Laidler (Lindfield 69), Titchiner (Reed 78), Mills. Subs: A Williams, Linwood, Chippendale.

Booked: Pugh, Laidler.

Goal: Mills 80.

Forest Green: Russell, Hodgkiss, Bennett, Oshodi, Stokes, Bangura, Barry (Vieira 90), Klukowski, Kelly, Wright (Barnes-Homer 68), Norwood. Subs: Asafu-Adjaye, Bulman, Williams.

Booked: Oshodi, Barry.

Goals: Wright 5, Barnes-Homer 73.

Referee: Anthony Blackhouse (Brampton).

Attendance: 2,083.