RUNCORN football is quickly reinventing itself with the Linnets going back to the future.

It really did feel something like the good old days as the non-league newcomers with a proud past maintained their fine start.

The fledgling team's widemen were again in scintillating form - Andy McCoy and Mick Young setting up another high-scoring North West Counties League success, although this time as wing-backs rather than wingers.

Dave Thompson and Thomas Lamb, looking a more than useful strike combination, continued their midweek scoring form to bag three of the first-half goals between them.

Young was, meanwhile, on target for a second successive league match as the Linnets opened up a 4-0 interval lead.

By going on to make it nine goals without reply in their first two league games, the club has got off to the flier it needed.

On a drizzly Friday night at Wincham Park, an encouraging 231 crowd - including many who had not been seen a game since the Canal Street days - witnessed the latest stage in a fast transformation of town-team fortunes.

Anyone who had gone along for curiosity's sake or just to be at the first home game could hardly have been given any more encouragement to go back.

It was great to see so many 'old' faces in the crowd. What they saw was an expressive display of passing football plus some fine finishing.

So far ahead at half-time, Runcorn were inevitably going to hit a bit of a lull in the second half.

Yet the home side added a spectacular fifth - substitute Paul Davies' long-range strike bouncing in off the crossbar.

They also finished strongly - again suggesting the desire and fitness are there - to send the crowd home encouraged and pleasantly surprised.

A second league clean sheet was also very acceptable with the back three of Ricky Newell, Paddy O'Driscoll and assistant play-er-manager Mark Phillips, at sweeper, keeping the opposition out.

Skipper Newell had an outstanding second half - his performance being quick and to the point.

Keeper George Caulfield generally looked more composed after his shaky debut and produced a flying tip-over save in between the third and fourth goals.

The first half was highlighted by some brilliant work by McCoy, who seemed to have the beating of Gabriels' left-back Lee Robinson every time - although crosses from both flanks were initially overhit or misdirected.

Thomas Lamb broke the deadlock in 24 minutes. He shimmied into the box on the left and after throwing the defence completely found the far corner for a stunning solo strike.

Building from the back and moving the ball around well - Colin Quirk again directing the midfield traffic, although twice caught in possession early on - Runcorn increased their lead in the 33rd minute.

Good build-up play involving Paul Scott on the right resulted in a cross from Lamb which Thompson headed in.

Two more goals followed before the interval, both stemming from mistakes.

Young took the ball forward and fired in a low 35th-minute shot which keeper Mark Canning would have expected to save from 30 yards.

In stoppage time, Thompson, who had made some intelligent runs, finished clinically from just outside the box after being gifted position in a central position.

Runcorn struggled to carry on the momentum after the break although Young took up where McCoy had left off before the latter found his second wind.

Davies, a half-time replacement for Paul Scott in midfield, made it 5-0 with his rasping strike 13 minutes from time.

McCoy sparked back to life to bring the best from the away keeper late on before embarking on another run which might have ended in a penalty for a foul but instead led to Thompson miskicking with a glorious hat-trick chance.

LINNETS: Caulfield, Phillips, Rollinson, O'Driscoll, Newell, Quirk, McCoy, Scott (Davies 46), Thompson, Lamb (J Swales 82), Young. Sub: Melling.