DIRK KUYT has admitted he was disappointed not to feature as Liverpool clinched their place in the FA Cup final, but says he will strive to prove his worth ahead of next month’s Wembley showdown with Chelsea.
The Dutch forward, so often the Reds’ go-to man on the big stage, was an unused substitute as Kenny Dalglish’s side defeated Everton 2-1 in front of more than 87,000 spectators on Saturday, with Dalglish preferring to use Craig Bellamy and Maxi Rodriguez as his side chased a winning goal late on.
It has been something of a frustrating campaign for Kuyt. Having topped the Reds’ scoring charts last season, he has managed just five goals this term, even hinting, via his agent, recently that he may be forced to consider his Anfield future should he fail to force his way into Dalglish’s picture.
Nonetheless, the 31-year-old says he is determined to play his part, if called upon, in his third major final for the club, having scored in his previous two – the 2007 Champions League defeat to AC Milan, and the Carling Cup triumph over Cardiff City earlier this year.
Kuyt said: “I am proud that, after the Champions League final and the final of the Carling Cup, for the third time I am with Liverpool in a final.
“But it is a disappointment that I did not play (against Everton). I expected to come on, and if that happens, you hope to be the first to come on. But that was not to be.
“There have been some important moments for me in the FA Cup, such as my goal against Manchester United (in round four). I will do everything to ensure that in the third final I prove my worth with a goal.”