Chester FC defender Ross Killock has opened up on his injury nightmare that has seen him unable to make his debut for the club after rejoining in the summer.

Killock, 22, was the third summer signing by Blues boss Jon McCarthy after his release from Leeds United and was a familiar face to Chester fans following a successful 19-game loan spell at the club during the 2013/14 season.

But Killock has been left frustrated in his attempts to hit the ground running with the Blues after a calf injury sustained while at Leeds came back to haunt him during pre-season.

But the defender, who has spent time on loan at FC Halifax Town and Stockport County, believes his injury woes are behind him and is ready to make a contribution.

"It's been frustrating," said Killock, who played 45 minutes in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Port Vale on Tuesday afternoon.

"I wanted to get in and hit the ground running, which hasn't been the case, but I got 45 minutes and I'm getting back up to speed now and I'm fit and ready to go.

"I don't want to do too much too early but I am desperate to get back. I've had a few training sessions and proved that I can get through a game so I have got to try and get the minutes. I need to get put back in a some point, though, to get that match sharpness back."

Ross Killock with Chester manager Jon McCarthy
Ross Killock with Chester manager Jon McCarthy

Chester FC: It's up to me to make these players believe, says McCarthy

And what about this weekend?

Killock came through the friendly clash with the Valiants unscathed and is in Blues boss Jon McCarthy's thoughts for this weekend, with Chester facing two games in three days.

They host Sutton United on Saturday at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium before a trip to Woking on Bank Holiday Monday (3pm), with Killock ready for action if called on by McCarthy.

"He has just said he wants me back as quickly as possible but doesn't want to rush me back and risk losing me for even longer," he said.

"But I'm keen to get back, we've got two games in three days this weekend so we'll see.

"I think it was a recurrence of something that I picked up last year and I don't think I got it treated right with my previous club, which was frustrating. It seems to have settled down quite nicely now and I felt fine the other day in the game and have felt fine in training so fingers crossed that is the end of it.

"I just want to get out on the pitch and start helping the team. I really enjoyed myself here last time and that was one of the reasons I came back and I have had a restrained start but hopefully I can get back now."

Video Loading

Killock was at Boreham Wood to witness Elliott Durrell's stunning halfway line leveller at Meadow Park.

Almost 20 years to the day since David Beckham achieved notoriety for his similar effort against Wimbledon in 1996, Durrell's strike was one to rival it.

An online poll on the Daily Mirror website asked fans to vote on which goal was better, and Killock had his say.

"I think everyone has just started unfollowing him (Durrell) on Twitter," he said.

"It was an unbelievable strike. I didn't think he had it in him, the little lad, it was great to be fair.

"I'm not going to tell him it's better. I'll vote for Beckham's, I think."