Chester FC chairman Simon Olorenshaw has been delighted with the calibre of managers who are interested in becoming the club’s next manager.
Although results and performances had been concerning for some time, last week’s decision to dismiss Steve Burr after more than two years in charge came as a surprise given there were four weeks left in the season.
But after a run of one win from 10 games and risk of relegation growing, the board decided a change was required and placed Jon McCarthy and Ian Sharps in control.
Contrary to reports elsewhere, Olorenshaw does not expect to appoint Burr’s successor before the end of the campaign but does want the new manager to be ready to start work as soon as the season ends, giving them the maximum time to rebuild the squad for 2016-17.
Possible contenders include ex-Tranmere Rovers boss Ronnie Moore, former Eastleigh manager Richard Hill, AFC Fylde’s Dave Challinor and Craig Harrison of The New Saints.
Ex-Chester City midfielders Paul Carden and Shaun Reid have declared themselves while Sharps and former Blues favourite Ryan Lowe have also stated an interest.
While understandably unwilling to divulge names, Olorenshaw said he had impressed at the breadth and quality of applicants.
“The calibre of applications we have received so far has been very impressive,” said Olorenshaw.
“There are managers who have managed in this division, some from the division above and others who are managing at a lower level but ready to make the step up.
“We have had a lot of calls and emails from agents and people who represent managers but there are two or three names there already.
“We have asked everyone to send in their CVs and next week we will sit down and start sifting through the applications but the level of interest and the standard of managers has been very pleasing.
“We’ve got excellent facilities here and we’re one of the best supported clubs in the division and I do think the fact we are fan-owned is a challenge that appeals to managers.”
Chester welcome Welling United, who dropped to the bottom of the table in the week, on Saturday (3pm) and with the right combination of results could be safe come full-time.
The club has again opened the South Stand for the fixture with free tickets available for children to swell the crowd with Olorenshaw asking fans to be the 12th man for the Blues.
“The prority is for us to get the three points and then if Altrincham fail to win and Boreham Wood lose we will be safe,” he said.
“I know we’ve had a few in recent weeks but it’s a massive game and we really need everyone to get behind the team.
“I spoke to the players before the Lincoln game and told them to enjoy themselves more and I’ve been very impressed with some of little things Macca and Sharpy have changed in a short time.
“It would be brilliant to fill the South Stand. We did it for the Torquay game before Christmas and the team responded that night and hopefully we can do it again and get the same kind of performance.”