A MAN is lucky to have escaped with his life after falling asleep while cooking, leaving it to over- heat and destroy his kitchen.
The 30-year-old, of Llan-y-Pwll, Wrexham, nodded off after drinking, leaving his cooking unattended.
Two fire crews from Wrexham were called to the incident at the semi-detached property in Sandy Lane just after 3am on Monday and found the kitchen ablaze.
Two hose reels and two sets of breathing apparatus were used to extinguish the flames and the man received oxygen therapy before being taken to hospital as a precaution.
He had been alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm he had recently had fitted – by the fire service.
Paul Whybro of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “This man is lucky to be alive. The incident clearly demonstrates the benefits of having a working smoke alarm.
“It’s so important people do not leave their cooking unattended, even for a second, as a fire can quickly develop into a life- threatening incident.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety checks. Call 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk.