WREXHAM newest recruit is Scott Green, who put pen to paper at the Racecourse on Valentine's Day. He came on as sub for Darren Ferguson in the Southend game and made an immediate impression - getting booked for a foul on Jay Smith.
The new man put himself around and added a bit of bite to the Dragons'midfield. On first viewing, he looked to be a steely rather than creative player, and reminded me ever so slightly of the legendary Peter Ward, but without the Geordie accent and the wicked free-kicks.
The fact that he was a regular in Wigan's promotion-hungry side up until Christmas bodes well. Denis Smith also rates him highly: "Just cast your eyes over his playing record and you will see what an experienced player he is. I have stressed that I wanted someone to improve us and add some versatility, which is exactly what he brings with him."
Here are 25 Things You Never Knew About Scott Green:
1. He is 33.
2. His nickname is "Greeny".
3. He stands 5' 10" tall.
4. His birthday is January 15.
5. He weighs in at 12.05.
6. He was born in Walsall.
7. He started his career as a trainee at Derby County.
8. He moved to Bolton for £50,000 in 1990.
9. He made 286 appearances for the Trotters in seven years, scoring 31
10. He won promotion to the Premier League twice with Bolton.
11. He joined Wigan for £300,000 in the summer of 1997.
12. Bruce Rioch signed Green for the Latics while he was manager.
13. SG scored on his debut for Wigan in the opening game of the 1997/8
season against Wycombe Wanderers at Springfield Park.
14. He played 247 games for the JJB outfit, scoring 11 goals.
15. He was a member of the Wigan side that lost to Gillingham in the second
division play-off final of 1999-2000.
16. One Wigan website describes him as a "solid, hard-tackling defender who
can move forward when required"; another offers "Scott Green wallpaper" for
17. Last season he picked up three yellow cards and one red.
18. This year he has made 26 appearances for Wigan, scoring three goals and
picking up two bookings.
19. Gary Teale has taken his place on the right side of the Latics'
20. Green's Wigan contract was terminated by mutual consent last week, four months before it was due to run out.
21. His last appearance for the JJB team came against Stoke in the FA Cup.
22. He is ninth on the all-time Wigan appearance list.
23. He joined Wrexham the day after being released by Paul Jewell.
24. Initially, he is at the Racecourse until the end of the season.
25. His career goals-per-game ratio is 0.08%