A YOUNG woman with a catalogue of mental and social problems died of a drugs overdose at her Wrexham home, a coroner’s court at Mold heard.
Fiona McKenzie, 26, of Shields Court, had suffered from anorexia and depression and was dependent on prescribed and non-prescribed drugs on and off for 10 years, the court heard.
“She was a very loving, kind, generous person,” said her mother, Ms Diane McKenzie. “She adored animals, especially her pet dog.”
Fiona, who was one of twin girls, was found dead at her home on Tuesday, October 14, last year.
As well as having a dressing-gown cord around her neck, toxicology reports noted fatal levels of amphetamines in her blood.
The court also heard how Miss McKenzie was regularly hospitalised with drug overdoses and injuries from self-harm.
Because of this, acting coroner for North East Wales John Gittins ruled out suicide.
“There is no evidence that the dressing gown cord around her neck played any part in her death,” he said.
“Instead it was her years of drug abuse, of both prescribed and non-prescribed drugs.
“I don’t think her death was an accident, but my verdict is one of death by abuse of drugs.”