A STUDENT died after choking on a sausage, an inquest has heard.
The inquest into the death of Brian Wanless, 52, of Pleck Road, Whitby, took place at Chester, Ellesmere Port and Neston Magistrates Court on Friday, November 20.
Mr Wanless died in the railway station below Frankfurt International Airport last December 14.
German police representative Herr Heisig said in a written statement: “Mr Wanless was found dead on Sunday, December 14, 2008, at 9.20pm at check in T.
“It appeared he had choked on a piece of sausage and suffocated.
“Despite repeated attempts from passersby to resuscitate him, he died on the spot.”
He was carrying his passport and credit cards only.
A post-mortem examination on January 2, 2009, revealed Mr Wanless had choked to death.
His larynx was obstructed by a large piece of Brockwurst sausage which caused acute respiratory failure.
The court heard from Mr Wanless’s GP Dr Asprou, who said he was well-known to the surgery.
He was regularly treated for hepatitis C and herpes from a former drug habit, which caused a long-term problem in his right eye.
Mr Wanless’s brother Michael, a retired teacher from Staffordshire, attended the inquest.
He said Brian was studying fine arts and was doing very well.
He was on secondment to Sofia, Bulgaria, as part of his course but had to come back because his eye was giving him problems.
He was in and out of contact with his family.
Coroner Nicholas Rheinberg offered his apologies for the sparsity of information available.
He said Mr Wanless was living in Wrexham at the time of his death, but his registered address was Ellesmere Port.