Maamria sacked, caretaker Marsh still in charge as hopes are hit by power cut
NORTHWICH Vics went into last night’s hastily re-arranged FA Cup fourth qualifying-round tie with AFC Telford United knowing victory would bring league opposition to the Marston’s Arena.
Vics have drawn Southend United in the first-round proper in a match to be played on Saturday, November 8 (3pm) but Conference North side Telford will have been just as determined to land the big pay day.
Saturday’s cup clash ended in farcical circumstances as the match was abandoned at half-time following the main generator blowing, cutting off electricity to the entire ground.
Vics owner Jim Rushe said: “There had been a problem with the power last week and they had decided to go on generators. I didn’t know anything about it. I only run the football club, I don’t operate the ground.
“On Saturday, the main generator blew. It was more of a health and safety issue really as everything was turned off.”
Vics were leading Telford 1-0 at the time thanks to a Mark Roberts goal but players, staff and moreover the fans were left frustrated as the game was called off after 45 minutes.
Visiting fans remained in the Danebank stand demanding their money back while stadium owner Mike Connett was subject to abuse (see page three).
Last week, manager Dino Maamria was sacked as a result of the internal investigation into matters surrounding his suspension (see back page).
Now, still in his caretaker role, Mike Marsh will continue to look after first-team affairs ahead of Saturday’s visit of Eastbourne Borough (3pm ko).
Marsh will hope his players have pulled through last night’s FA Cup clash unscathed but he confirmed the club won’t be making any new signings soon.
He said: “ It would not be fair to sign anyone when I am not 100% sure whether or not I’ll be in the job.”
For a full match report of Vics’ FA Cup clash with Telford go to www.northwichchronicle.co.uk